Sunday, August 10, 2008

Wednesday, August 7th, 2008

A CONFUCIAN CONFUSION
N/A
Walked out. I just couldn't be bothered trying to get into this film, which appeared to continue to talk about emotion. I am pretty tired generally at the moment, and after 30 minutes the sunshine of outside was more alluring that continuing to watch.

IN SEARCH OF A MIDNIGHT KISS
8/10
This black and white film is about a lonely scriptwriter on New Years Eve whose career is going nowhere and is paranoid about standing at a party at midnight without someone to kiss. His housemates suggest he puts an ad on Craigs List, and the film follows his encounters with the woman who responds. Lots of good laughs in this lowish budget film. Reminiscent of Before Sunrise, so if you liked that, be sure to check it out.

SUKIYAKI WESTERN DJANGO
4/10
I love a good Western and also am quite partial to Japanese films, so was quite looking forward to this one. Unfortunately, not even Quentin Tarantino's presence in a small role doesn't save this film. I suspect it's written with many clever nods to cultural and/or pop references that I know little about, and it just didn't make sense to me. One of the big flaws with this Japanese Western was that the Japanese actors spoke english in an attempted Western drawl. With their Japanese accents it was extremely hard to understand what was being said a lot of the time. Lots of nice camera work and style, but beyond that I I was lost.

No comments: