Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Friday August 7 2009

LOUISE-MICHEL
3/10
The plot to this comedy sounded good - the story of a group of women who pool their redundancy payouts to hire a hitman to kill their ex-boss. However the style of comedy was one that for me just annoyed. I walked out after about 30 minutes, not seeing the humour in it at all.

THE HURT LOCKER
8/10
I was a little unsure about whether this film would be worthwhile. I've seen a couple of films about the Iraq war, and generally never been entirely enthralled with them. However, The Hurt Locker was an excellently made film which was a festival highlight. It's about a unit in Iraq that dedicates itself to investigating potential bombings, and where possible defusing them before they explode. It really sucks you in, and makes you feel like you're there, experiencing the pressure with the characters. Good stuff.

DEAD SNOW
8/10
I'm not really a fan of Zombie films, but I can say of the ones I've seen, this is probably my favourite. Mind you, I've not seen any Romero ones, nor the Evil Deads. I'm not much of a horror film goer. This is a gruesome comedy about a bunch of young Norwegians who go up to an isolated cabin in the mountains for a ski weekend. All the cliches are ticked here, including the old man who frightens them on their first evening and then goes on to tell them about the dark presence in the woods. Turns out that a bunch of Nazis never quite died, and are still pretty upset. Lots of blood splattering and spilling of intestines, but overall a good balance of laughs that leaves you happily entertained.


CHOCOLATE
Review to come

No comments: