Monday, August 10, 2009

Thursday August 6 2009

FOOD, INC.
5/10
Sorry Food Inc, but you were the straw that broke this camel's back. During this film, I wanted to yell at the screen, which I suppose is a good thing in that it's inciting a strong reaction in a viewer, but for me, I was doing so in disappointment of an opportunity lost. I think there's a real story to be told here about the food industry, but I'm so tired of having documentaries that effectively come across as a liberal/left wing version of an 'A Current Affair' type story. It shouldn't be necessary to do this in order to get their point across, but in Food Inc they really try and ram it down your throat.

For example, in one part of the film, they show us the story of a hispanic family who apparently can't afford to buy decent food and are forced to eat $1 hamburgers at McDonalds. They show a scene of them wandering like they're lost around a supermarket with comments along the lines of 'Broccoli for $1.19? We can't afford that!'. Are you eff star star kay eye en gee kidding me? Add to this, the father has diabetes at least in part because he eats so much junk food, which then costs the family hundreds of dollars in medicine.

They also found a mother whose son died from ecoli poisoning. As a father, it horrifies me to think of losing my child so I have total sympathy for her and her loss, but it came across as just another desperate measure to convince us in a direction that didn't need such drama. A slight case of overbombing.

Oh yeah, and in the beginning of the film, we're told that four multi-national corporations dominate the US food industy, but this information is presented, as if we're meant to spit, based on those facts alone. Maybe we ought to be, but a) I don't think that being a multinational corporation immediately means you're an organisation with poor ethics, and b) splitting a large industry between four companies sounds a whole lot better than what's been going on with the computer software industry for years...

I'm not a right wing thinker, but this documentary is so biased in its presentation that even I wanted to reject it as overdone. That said, there are points that still stand true - corporations respond to demand. If consumers demand to know where their food comes from, and start making better choices, such as purchasing organic produce and meat from farms that respect the animals (at least prior to slaughter) then we can change things. I know that I'll be doing some research into milk now to see exactly what the difference is between the Puras and the Organic options, and also into the meat I buy when I do. (yeah, sorry, I'd love to be vegetarian, but bacon tastes too good).

BLACK DYNAMITE
9/10
And on the a lighter side of the film, we have Black Dynamite, a brain-resting comedy that is one of my highlights for the festival. Like 'The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra' from MIFF 2004, which was a glorious and hilarious tribute to b-grade 1950s sci-fi flicks, Black Dynamite nods towards the Blaxploitation films of the 1970s. I've not seen (m)any blaxploitation films, but you don't need to know the genre inside out to have a ball. It's about a real badass guy named Black Dynamite who is on a mission to find out who killed his brother and why. Set design is great, and the send-ups are done to perfection. I can't wait to see it again when my brain needs a rest. Champagne comedy! Or, should I say 'Anaconda, oooooooooh Comedy'?

IN THE LOOP
8/10
Based around the UK comedy 'The Thick Of It', (which apparently may be getting re-made into a US show soon), this political comedy was another highlight for me. Fast talking and quick-paced, it follows the story of a British minister who as a result of a botched radio interview, winds up becoming involved in talks between the US and the UK about invading Iraq. Peter Capaldi steals the show with his character, a foul mouthed Scot who doesn't take shit from anyone. A real role model for us all :). If you think you'd like the result of mixing The Office, The West Wing and Yes Minister into one show, don't miss it.

No comments: